In this article, you will learn:
- Learn what your customers search on your online store
- Turn on the Google Analytics e-Commerce Feature
- Which channel gives you more traffic or conversions?
1. Learn what your customers search on your online store
Your customers can use the search function on your online store. This information can be captured on Google Analytics. You might be surprised with what your customers are actually looking for.
Once Google Analytics is setup, turn on site search tracking to start gathering search data. To enable site search tracking
- In the Google Analytics dashboard, navigate to Admin > View > View Settings.
- Enable Site Search Tracking.
- Enter 'q' as a query parameter.
- Scroll to bottom of the page and click 'Save'.
When Google Analytics sees 'q=' in a URL in your Help Center, it captures the parameter's value as a search string.
Once you're done with the changes, you will start seeing data under:
Behaviors > Site Search > Search Terms
2. Turn on the Google Analytics e-Commerce Feature
In your Google Analytics account, click ADMIN:
In the View menu, click Ecommerce Settings:
Click to toggle the Enable Ecommerce slider from OFF to ON.
After that, click to toggle the Enable Enhanced Ecommerce Reporting slider from OFF to ON:
Finally, click Save!
3. Which channel gives you more traffic or conversions?
Google Analytics' Referral Traffic report shows you which websites generate traffic to your store. For example, if a blog features your business and readers click a link to view your online store, then the blog is listed as a source of the traffic to your store.
You might notice sources that you don't want to be included in the Referral Traffic report. For example, if a customer enters the payment gateway page and then returns to your online store to continue shopping, then the payment gateway page will be listed as a source. This makes it harder for you to know where your customers come from.
We recommend you to follow Google's instructions to add those domains to your Referral exclusion list.
To get the most out of your referral data, consider adding the following domains to your referral exclusion list:
- The primary domain of your online store (such as storehub.me, and your custom domain)
- The checkout domain
- Malaysia: ipay88.com, mobile88.com
- Thailand: 2c2p.com