In order to organise your network system in your shop, you may want to or need to set a static IP to your printer. Using a static IP prevents address conflicts between your printer device and other devices in the shop and allows you to manage them more easily.
How to set a Static IP?
1. Put paper into the printer. Plug the ethernet cable into the back of the printer (ensure the other end of the ethernet cable is connected to the router or a switch leading to the router).
2. Turn the printer on. A green light should be visible on the front of the printer.
If there is a red light error, check the printer’s manual:
3. Turn the printer off.
4. Press and hold the paper feed button while turning the printer back on.
5. After turning the printer back on, a report will print out; release the paper feed button as soon as this report begins to print. Two reports will print out, the second report will have a header along the lines of “Network Card…” and at the bottom of the paper there will be an IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway. The first report can be discarded.
6. Launch a web browser on an iPad/a computer connected to the same network as the printer(s). Type the IP Address from the second report from the printer into the address bar; press enter.
7. The Star Micronics Network Utility will load. Click Login (found in the control pane along the left side of the page).
Note: Not all IP Address schemes are the same; enter the IP Address found at the bottom of the Network Card report from the Star printer.
8. Enter the default Username and Password.
9. Once logged in, click IP Parameters.
10. Type in a static IP Address that is outside of the DHCP range of the router (usually beyond 200). Your static IP address will look something like this -> 192.168.0.XXX or 10.1.2.XXX (replace XXX with a number beyond 200).
11. Type in the Subnet Mask (typically 255.255.255.0, but also located on the report from the printer).
12. Type in the Default Gateway found from the report (the IP Address of the router).
13. Click Submit.
14. Check the settings and then click Save (found in the control pane along the left side of the page).
15. Click Execute on the page that loads (do not change anything). Your printer will restart and print out a new Network Card report. The static IP Address will appear at the bottom of the report.
16. Once you have completed the process of configuring the Star Micronics printer, simply use your iPad, on the StoreHub app, login using “Manager Mode”. Tap on Printer Setup. Search for the printer, select the printer you wish to use and you’re done!
Did you know that you can use multiple LAN printers? This is especially useful for those with a kitchen and wish to improve the flow of operations by creating an order ticket using another printer located in the kitchen. Order tickets can also be printed using a single printer - perfect for small cafes and food trucks. Just set up the kitchen printers/additional printers, then specify and delegate each printer here!